The path towards global next generation communication networks requires solutions, architectures, technologies and standards for a ubiquitous and super-fast connectivity and seamless service delivery.
In the long term, telecom and IT will be integrated towards a common very high capacity ubiquitous infrastructure based on general purpose, programmable and specific high performance hardware that will offer resources for transport, routing, storage and execution.
Key Technological Challenges of 5G Evolution
The development of new communication networks is dependent on the emergence of globally accepted standards in order to ensure interoperability and economies of scale with affordable cost for system deployment and end users.
To implement this new vision of networks new characteristics has to be achieved:
- Higher wireless area capacity and more varied service capabilities.
- Saving of energy per service provided. The main focus will be in mobile.
- Reducing the average service creation time cycle to minutes.
- Creating a secure, reliable and dependable Internet with a “zero perceived” downtime for services provision
- Facilitating very dense deployments of wireless communication links to connect over trillions of wireless devices serving over billions of people.
- Enabling advanced user controlled privacy
This new high-performance network will be operated via a scalable management framework enabling fast deployment of novel applications, including sensor based applications, with a strong reduction of the network management OPEX.
Telefónica I+D role in the 5G Evolution
European Commission and the ICT Industry have initiated the 5G Infrastructure Public-Private Partnership, in short 5G PPP, to rethink the infrastructure and to create the Next generation of communication networks and services that will provide ubiquitous super-fast connectivity and seamless service delivery in all circumstances.
This partnership aims to have European industry driving the development of 5G standards and to develop and exploit at least 20% of the 5G SEP (standards essential patents).
Telefónica I+D is part of the Expert Group of 5G PPP UE initiative and member of the Steering Board of the technological platform. More information: http://5g-ppp.eu
- “Cloud RAN. Architecture for 5G”. A Telefónica-Ericsson joint White paper. Jul 2016.